Monday, September 12, 2011

Eco-Mom

Lately I've been feeling a little green. Not sick green. Green like earth-friendly-tree-hugger-money-saver-green.

Exhibit A. Home-made baby wipes.

Mix 3 cups water, 1 tablespoon baby wash, 1 tablespoon baby oil. Tear apart Bounty paper towels (select a size work best) and fold them. Here's where the Mr. took it up a notch and went all Eco-perfection on me folding them so that when you pull one out the next will automatically pop up.

Show-off.

{grin}

Soak the folded paper towels in the solution and squeeze excess fluid off. Then place in empty baby wipe container and they are ready to use.


(I filled 3 containers with one roll of paper towels. I'm no math expert but I'm pretty sure that saved some hard-earned moola)


Exhibit B - homemade baby food. The "6 month little" (21 lb 6 oz, 28 1/2 in long little) aced his well baby check up today. He protested when it was time for 3 shots, but do you blame him? Ouch, ouch & ouch! Don't worry we settled the protest with a 6oz bottle and a 3 1/2 hour nap {score} Our Dr. said he was the "picture of health" and for that I am thankful to God.


He's literally mastered the whole baby food thing already and opens his mouth like a little baby bird and whines if I don't get the food there fast enough. What.A.Ham. Anyways - baby food is sorta spendy and can be kept on the grocery store shelf for 12 months.


Yummy preservatives.


Ick.


Solution - I now make my own baby food. I'm borrowing a book from a friend called So Easy baby food by Joan Ahlers & Cheryl Tallman. It's as easy as buying the steam package peas at Hy-Vee, steaming them in microwave, adding some water, dumping in blender, and pressing "puree". Freeze 8-10 hrs then pop the cubes out into baggies and use as needed. Fresh, Healthy, and no preservatives. 2 bags of peas filled 2 ice cube trays full to the brim. Did I mention it's much more cost effective too?



I also made homemade baby food apples. Wash, peel, core/cut 4 apples. Cover with plastic wrap and cook in microwave for 5 minutes, the let stand for 5 minutes. Dump in blender and press "puree". 4 apples filled 1 ice cube tray. My kitchen now smells like Martha-Stewart :)


Exhibit C. Cloth diapers. Okay, I lied. I haven't gone that far. But I must admit the thought keeps crossing my mind...



Better hurry and get out of here before you too catch this nasty "green" bug.

No comments:

Post a Comment