Monday, August 6, 2012

"our place"

If my heart and parenting were recently in a place of drought, consider it to have down-poured on my soul. Flooding rains which successfully filled my cup back up where it should be. I knew this vacation would rejuvanate me, but I didn't know how much.

Yankton is our place. Always has been. Always will be. We got engaged here on this very lake during a romantic evening boat ride. We announced our pregnancy with Gavin here. We hope to announce every child here. We may have even got the idea for the name Gavin from this very place.

Like it said, it's our place.



It's that serene place, chock full of childhood memories for me. It's the place I dream about Gavin having oodles of childhood memories as well. It's where one could likely find me if I ever run away (grin) We spent many a weekends camping here. We keep that tradition chugging along by having an annual vacation here with my immediate family as well. Gavin loved it. I thought he liked it last year (well I'm not really sure how I could tell since he was practically an infant yet) but he told me this year.

Many times I asked him "Gavin, do you love the Yankton?" To which my little ham replied "Yeaaa!!!" I've honestly never seen the kid happier. I guess that's expected when you stay in a house full of many of the people he loves most in his life. Every morning he would wake up and excitedly say "Papa!!!" and go to look for Grandpa. Turns out he's a lot like me in another way, he does much better in small groups of people and his true personality shines. I'm pretty sure his purpose on this life may just be to make people laugh, and tell them hello. He's one heck of a friendly greeter.

He turned over a new leaf with sharing toys with his cousin Carter. They also shared lots of hugs and kisses.

My typical-early-bird-gets-the-worm slept in one morning until 9:30 am. NINE-FREAKIN-THIRTY-PEOPLE. That's a world record for us. For that we will celebrate. I haven't felt more rested in 17 months.

Turns out the little lamb has been watching Mommy and Daddy during family devotions at meals as he has picked up on folding his hands to pray and anticipates the ending by shouting "aaaammeeenn" (In case your wondering the first time I saw it my eyes were wet while my heart was melting inside me)

Like I said, water to my dry lands.

The weather was honestly ideal. It was comfortable to be outside regardless of if we were swimming or not. We went on many bike rides with the littles in their bike carts enjoying some sugar on a stick (read: lots of suckers) to keep them occupied. We also spent lots of time at the beach getting sand in places it doesn't belong (Mammas included)(just kidding)(maybe) The park was another favorite. One of my personal favorites is the house we rented. It's cottagy and homey and it brings happiness to my soul to have all my family under one roof like the good ol' times. I'm not sure I can say the good ol' times yet, heck I'm still in my prime people.

"Papa farm" (as Gavin calls him) put it best during a prayer he graced us with one evening.


"God, thank you for these little happy, healthy boys as they're pretty much the joy of our lives"


To that I say, Amen. Thank you God for your many, many blessings from above.

2 comments: