Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Uveitis



"Inflammation of the uvea of the eye"

...Maya has uveitis.

Who knew a dog could get that?! After getting her vaccines a couple of weeks ago and I noticed her eyes started to get very red, and she was itching them all the time and would "wimper". I brought her back to the vet and she had an eye exam and was prescibed eye ointment. The vet put the first dose in. Of course, Maya behaved perfectly for her and held still. The vet told me, apply this ointment three times a day for 10 days. The nurse in me thought, "easy enough" I've certainly done more difficult things in my life as a nurse.

...Or so I thought!

Have you ever tried to hold down a 18lb cockapoo and apply ointment to the lower portion of its eye? Oh, and of course, there are TWO eyes. So if you get lucky on the first one you can kiss your luck goodbye for the second eye. And, once a day, that would be a piece of cake; but THREE times a day for 10 whole days.

Maybe I'm being slightly dramatic, but this is really hard.



Sometimes in the midst of Brady and I attempting, yes attempting, to apply this ointment I just look around and laugh. It really is quite the sight, one of us trying to hold her down while the other goes in for the attack. LOL. I'm sure this will be funnier after the 10 days are over. Lets just hope this is our only encounter with uveitis.

No comments:

Post a Comment