Friday, October 21, 2011

when the snow flies

Today I'm dreaming about a day when I look outside to a blanket of white. A day where those bare-brown branches gleam with a frosty glaze.

Today I'm dreaming about winter.

Yes, winter.

I realize most people dread winter. I embrace it. Maybe it's because I know that when the thermometer reads in the single digits it means family traditions centered around holidays are right around the corner. Maybe it's because I'm finally not sweating the entire day long. Maybe it's because I love a slower pace of life centered around togetherness. Maybe it's because of my love for comfort food. Or maybe it's because I'm still dreaming that canon rebel will be wrapped up under my very own Christmas tree.

You see... the reasons for my love are many.

Last Christmas brought with it anticipation and joy of new life within my very own belly. This Christmas marks the celebration of babies first Christmas as well as our first Christmas as a family of three. Gavin already loves to play with paper so I'm thinking he's gonna be all over the whole unwrapping thing. Oh, and bright shiny things? They are on the top of his list of things to gaze at, the tree will be mesmerizing. My parents always let me decorate our Christmas tree with mis-matched ornaments and in the end it sort of looked like Christmas itself had thrown up right there on that poor tree. But you see, an important lesson was taught and learned. I learned I mattered and so did all my ornaments, and to them the tree always looked beautiful. So this year we continue the tradition and say "good-bye" to our martha-stewart tree and hello to our tree that will proudly sport a new and improved ecclectic look. Change is good. I can't wait to find the perfect 'babies first Christmas ornament' for Gavin. I will be a sentimental mess.

What am amazing priveledge it is to be a parent. God gives us the gift and responsibility of imprinting the lives of our children in such an influencial way.

My wheels are already churning and smoke's about to come out of my stack with ideas of new family traditions I want to start. Traditions that include new Christmas jammies, circle count down wreaths, and decorating the tree (perhaps a real live tree?) Traditions including decorating cut out cookines with holiday jingles serenading in the background. I can already picture a new playlist on the 'ol i-pod... we shall name her "sounds of heaven Christmas" This year also marks the first year our entryway table will display the entire willow tree nativity set (minus the creche, which by the way what on earth is a creche?!) I choose to call it a stable.

Nostalgic? Maybe.

It's a big deal people. It's the birth of our Saviour. It only comes once a year and I plan to enjoy the heck out of it. I hope you do to.


What are some family traditions you enjoy? Do share!

1 comment:

  1. YAY!! Gotta admit I've been counting down the days until we can set up the Christmas tree too! Cannot believe it's only a month away!!! :)

    ReplyDelete