Monday, February 13, 2012

a fast

{from media}
it's 8:23 monday morning. gavin and i just finished eating delicious buttermilk pancakes. i set him down to play and started doing dishes/cleaning up the kitchen. i noticed when i took him out of his high chair he had some unidentifiable particle of "food" stuck to the butt of his pants. this led me to feel inclined to "deep clean" his high chair. one wouldn't think it could possibly be that filthy already considering he's only been on table foods for the past few months and i do wipe it down occasionally. i will spare you the gnarly details of what was found underneath the lining.

you know how after you're done doing dishes by hand (if anyone does that anymore) and there is that gushy "stuff" left in the drain...if you've ever touched that, this was a similar experience.

and i said i was going to spare you the gnarly details.

got me to thinking about the 'filth' that so quickly accumulates in my own life. i can try to 'wipe things down' occasionaly by praying, reading scripture, conferring with other christians, etc. but sometimes in life we all need a deep clean.

this month will be a deep clean from media for myself and my dear friend laura. we both found ourselves in a 'rut' of sorts of feeling over indulged, unappreciative, uncontent, etc. if you want the whole story of how this all began and the details of the rules, check out her blog.

the basic low down for our media fast is this
- no facebook for an entire month... 30 whole days people
-limiting media time to a total of 7 hrs a week
-we are able to check email because we would both probably loose our job if we didn't
-the only websites we are allowed to access are email and each others blog (because lets be honest we need support)
-we can blog (PTL)
-no texting for fun, we're going to do it the old fashioned way and actually call people

my prayer is that this fast recharges not only my relationship with God, but my relationship with others as well. kind of like when you stop doing what is completely wasting your time and make room for the important things in life. i value face to face time with people and with how accessible social networking has become i'm embarrased to admit that i've let face to face time slide down on my list of priorities, i've even caught myself screening calls on occasion and instead of calling people back, texting them.

there's my confession for the day. ugh.

so, here's a whole month dedicated to changing that. if anyone feels so inclined to join, please do.

now if you'll excuse me i need to get off the computer now, it's already been 30 minutes
(just like that and i'm already down to 6.5 hrs of media left for the week)

1 comment:

  1. I love the thought of a "deep cleanse" in my life. I hope this brings a portion of that cleanse. I am thankful for you, and that i have you for support. Bet you a million bucks I would be wasting away in guilt for cheating today if it weren't for support! here's to you day 2, may you bettr than day one!

    ReplyDelete