Saturday, December 31, 2011

un content

Something has been going on in my heart lately and I can't ignore it any longer. Blame it on this season of more, more, more. Being new years eve, I find myself intentionally thinking of things I want to improve on in 2012.

One intentional area of improvement involves contentment. I will work on being content with what I have and not comparing it to what "everyone else has". If I'm completely honest, my heart lately has been more full of "look what so and so has, how do they afford that, on one income? what are we doing wrong? i want __________ (fill in the blank with whatever you covet)

Here's the thing - I have everything I need and more.

Be still my heart.

Be thankful.

Help others and don't always think of your own desires.

One lesson I've learned in my twenty some odd years is that material possessions will never satisfy. Did you hear me? Material.Possessions.Will.Never.Satisfy. What they will do is leave you longing for more, and more and more. Buyers remorse anyone? It's an ugly, infectious, and potentially terminal cycle. Quite similar to a MRSA or VRE infection that no antibiotics can touch because the "bug" is too smart for the treatment. It can go something like this, you buy a bigger house because you need more room, but then wait you need better furniture to go in your bigger house, and you need new decorations for your new house, and new dishes, and probably a new vehicle to put in your new garage. The infection spreads and soon it's nothing short of lethal to your soul. I won't pretend to have never been on a similar cycle, although it was more of a lust-after-newer-and-nicer-things-and-compare-what-we-have-to-what-other-have cycle... but thank God it's a new year and I'm bailing off that pony.


While I don't ever remember going without when I was young, I do remember both of my parents working their tails off to provide for me. I heard and hated the word "budget". While in junior high I resented my Mom because she wouldn't buy me a pair of $50 jeans with holes in them. Good call Mom, what the h was I thinking?! My parents succeeded and ingrained gratitude deep into the crevices of my soul. Thanks Mom & Dad. I refuse to raise an ungrateful child myself. I will intentially parent Gavin to be aware of those people who have nothing, do without, and probably have more joy than we will ever know because they rely solely on God.



I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in every and any situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do all this through Him who gives me strength. Philippians 4:12-13

Cheers to a new year and learning contentment!


Stay tuned for a ' christmas and year-in-review' post coming soon.

3 comments:

  1. Amen Tina!! We all have so many blessings to be thankful for and yet crazily enough we still want more. If everyone had the outlook of being content with their life & "things" and helping others we would live in a better world. I love your kind heart and honesty in your posts. May God continue to bless you and your family in 2012!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this. Perfect new years resolution. Kind of like losing wait. I should probably try both. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thoroughly enjoy reading your blog! Thanks for sharing your heart Tina! You often spark something inside of me that makes me want to be a better person!

    ReplyDelete